Iran Signals Willingness to Compromise on Nuclear Deal Amid Sanctions Standoff
GENEVA, Switzerland — Iran’s deputy foreign minister declared Sunday that Tehran is prepared to make compromises in the ongoing nuclear negotiations with the United States, but emphasized that Washington must demonstrate a genuine commitment to reaching an agreement. Majid Takht-Ravanchi, speaking ahead of a second round of indirect talks in Geneva, said the key issue remains the U.S. willingness to discuss lifting sanctions.
“The ball is in America’s court to prove that they want to do a deal,” Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC. “If they are sincere, I’m sure we will be on the road to an agreement.” His remarks came as Iran’s top diplomat Abbas Araghchi traveled to Geneva for follow-up discussions after an initial round of negotiations held last week in Oman.
Takht-Ravanchi highlighted Iran’s recent actions to dilute its stockpile of 60% enriched uranium as a sign of Tehran’s readiness to compromise on its nuclear program. However, he stressed that progress hinges on the U.S. addressing the sanctions that have crippled Iran’s economy. “We are ready to discuss this and other issues related to our program if they are ready to talk about sanctions,” he said.
This development follows a period of heightened tensions in the Middle East, with the U.S. increasing its naval presence in the region as a show of force. According to the Department of Defense, recent deployments aim to deter hostile actions and provide strategic leverage in diplomatic efforts.
The U.S. has maintained that sanctions relief is contingent on Iran’s verifiable rollback of nuclear activities, a stance reiterated by officials from the U.S. Department of State. Meanwhile, Iran insists that sanctions must be eased upfront to facilitate meaningful negotiations.
The talks in Geneva represent a continuation of efforts to revive the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which dramatically curtailed Iran’s nuclear capabilities in exchange for sanctions relief before the U.S. withdrew from the agreement in 2018. The Department of Energy has monitored Iran’s nuclear developments closely, noting the risks posed by enrichment activities beyond agreed limits.
Observers note that Iran’s willingness to engage signals a potential thaw, but the path to a deal remains fraught with mistrust and geopolitical complications. The Biden administration has expressed cautious optimism but insists that any agreement must ensure Iran cannot develop nuclear weapons.
As the Geneva talks proceed, the international community watches closely, aware that a breakthrough could ease regional tensions and open avenues for broader diplomatic engagement. Yet, the outcome hinges on whether the U.S. and Iran can bridge the gap between sanctions demands and nuclear commitments.
For now, Takht-Ravanchi’s message is clear: Iran is ready to compromise, but the United States must prove its sincerity by addressing the sanctions issue head-on.

Leave a Reply